Today I read a report in the local edition of Sunday’s paper. It came from the Parade insert. It contained many ways to pass along good will through actions to those soldiers who have served or are currently serving. Choose one of their eleven (11) suggestions listed below to show your gratitude to the brave men and women who have served at great cost to them and their families.
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
- Donate equipment or help construct a home for our severely injured veterans. Info at www.homesforourtroops.org
- Free transportation for our disabled veterans. Info at www.dav.org/volunteers
- Mentor children of those serving through Big Brothers and Big Sisters. Info at www.bbbs.org
- Share 1 hour of your time with a returned veteran. Listen, laugh and smile with them.
- Send a personalized parcel through this organization. Info at www.soldierpackages.org
- Contribute to a holiday package that will mailed to active service persons. Info at www.operationgratitude.com/volunteer
- Save your expired coupons. Military families can use them for up to 6 months beyond the expiration date. www.coupsfortroops.com
- Donate used DVD’s to your local VA facility. Info at www.dvds4vets.org
- Ship your old but working cell phones to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com For each donated this group will pay for one hour of talk time for troops oversees.
- Request a field kit to record a war veterans war stories. Info at www.loc.gov/vets
- Take in the pet of a deployed soldier or wounded veteran. Visit www.guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org
Organize your time so you too can lend a hand to one of our 23 million veterans OR those still serving.
One Response to “Eleven ways to help veterans on 11-11-11”
Leave a Reply